Pay for Child Care

What is CCAP?

What is the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)?

The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) offers child care assistance to those who qualify through the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP). Parents who meet income eligibility requirements and are working and/or going to school are encouraged to apply for child care assistance. 

To find out if you or someone you know may be eligible, contact us or visit IDHS Eligibility Calculator. Applications for child care assistance may be obtained online, below, or from the child care resource and referral office, local DHS offices, and most licensed child care providers.

Parents Applying for Child Care Assistance

To be eligible:

  • Parents must be an Illinois resident and employed and or in an TANF or education activity or 
  • Currently unemployed and not in an education activity but is seeking employment or education activity or
  • Homeless (with or without employment and or education activity) and 
  • Children in care are age 13 and under or
  • Special needs children age 13 - 18 with documentation and 
  • The family income meets current eligibility criteria

Step 1:

  • Check your income eligibility with the Income Guidelines
  • Parents can contact SALCCC for an application or click here to fill out a paper version of the child care assistance application: Child Care Application 

Step 2:

Have you worked long enough to have two current and consecutive check stubs?

YES: Include copies of your last two consecutive pay stubs with the application

NO: You will need to include a Wage Verification Form (filled out by your employer) with your application. Once you have worked long enough to have two pay stubs you must mail or bring copies to SAL Child Care Connection's office.

If you are Self-Employed:

You will need to provide verification of your employment, including:

    • A copy of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return (IRS 1040) and all schedules and attachments

If you have not worked long enough to file taxes you can submit:

    • A listing of all business income and expenses for the last 30 days. Please use the Self Employment Form When reporting income and expenses, all receipts, invoices, or other documentation must be attached to verify all information.

Step 3:

Do you attend school?

If YES, include the following information with your application:

    • Copies of your official school schedule
    • Copies of your most recent report card showing your current term grade point average (GPA)

If NO, go to Step 4.

Step 4:

Do you currently have a child care provider?

If NO, please call our Referral Office or stop in and we will be happy to provide free assistance in finding child care that is right for your family - (309) 686-3750 Option 3 or 1(800) 421-4371

If YES, your child care provider must complete pages 11, 12 & 13 of the child care application.

You and your provider will be notified by mail of approval or denial within 30 working days after we receive your completed application and all the required paperwork. Incomplete applications are the #1 reason for delay. Please be sure that You AND Your Provider SIGN AND DATE the application.

If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you!